Archive for the 'a-noticias-ingles'

ago 11 2014

Nigeria confirms new Ebola case in Lagos State

Filed under a-noticias-ingles

Abuja, Aug. 11 (Xinhua) — A new case of Ebola infection has been reported in southwestern Nigeria’s state of Lagos, an official confirmed on Monday, summing the total number of the infection to 10 in Africa’s most populous country.

Minister of Health Onyebuchi Chukwu said the latest case, a nurse who had primary contact with Patrick Sawyer the index case, has been in isolation since the infection.

“We just tested her over the weekend. So, between Friday and today, we had one additional case. That brings it to 10 and the 10 includes the index case,” Chukwu told a news conference in the Nigerian capital Abuja.

The nurse was being treated and her husband was under surveillance, according to the Nigerian official.

Last Wednesday, the Nigerian health ministry confirmed that another nurse who treated the index case died after contacting the virus.

Patrick Sawyer, who was tested positive for the Ebola virus upon arrival by plane from Liberia, died in a Lagos hospital on July 25.

The state government had stepped up its effort to trace all those that came in contact with the Liberian, said Jide Idris, commissioner for health in Lagos.

Last Friday, Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan declared a national emergency, saying a sum of 1.9 billion naira (11.6 million U.S. dollars) will be released to prevent further spread of the Ebola Virus.

Ebola, which has killed over 900 people in West African countries, spreads through mucous and other body fluid or secretions such as stool, urine, saliva and semen of infected people. It is believed to be very difficult to control.

Comentarios desactivados

ago 11 2014

Search for Bangladesh sunken ferry called off, 46 dead, 61 still missing

Filed under a-noticias-ingles

Dhaka, Aug. 11 (Xinhua) — Bangladesh authorities on Monday called off search operation for a jam-packed ferry that capsized with some 250 passengers on board seven days ago in the country’s central Munishganj district, leaving 46 people dead and 61 others missing.

“We’ve decided to call off the search operation for the sunken ferry with considering all situations including inclement weather, ” Saiful Hasan Badal, chief administrator of the district, told Xinhua.

Despite hectic efforts, he said divers could not locate any object or image of the double-decker ferry, MV Pinak, which capsized in Padma, one of the three rivers that form the Ganges Delta, at around 11:15 a.m. local time on Aug. 4.

The decision also followed the Bangladesh Meteorological Department’s latest weather forecast as all the sea ports in the country have been advised to hoist local cautionary signal no- three.

Badal, however, said they will continue to search for bodies in the waters.

“We’ll continue to search for bodies in the waters though search operation has formally ended,” Badal.

Badal said at least six vessels from the Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA),Fire Brigade and Civil Defense, Bangladesh Navy and Coast Guard conducted an intensive search in around 50 square km area, but could not locate the sunken ferry.

“So far we understand that there is no possibility of locating the ferry from the 50 square km area which came under intense search. So we’ve decided to call off the search after consulting experts,” he said.

“Forty-six bodies have so far been recovered and 61 were still missing, he said, adding “Most of the recovered bodies were decomposed, many beyond recognition.”

Bangladeshi government has announced a grant of 120,000 taka ( about 1,538 U.S. dollars) for the burial of each identified and unidentified body.

Kaniz Fatema, assistant superintendent of police in Munshiganj district, some 27 km away from capital Dhaka, said some 120 people were either rescued or managed to swim ashore after the ferry capsized in high winds and rain on the Padma’s Maowa-Kewrakandi river route.

Officials could not tell the exact number of the missing passengers. Ferry services in Bangladesh never maintain list of passengers and nor can exactly say how many passengers a ferry carries.

Munshiganj Police Chief Zakir Hossain Majumder had initially said the ferry was carrying about 200 passengers.

Like many other Dhaka-bound ferries, the ill-fated water taxi was overcrowded, some survivors said.

A seven-member probe committee, formed by the shipping ministry, will hear testimonies of survivors and witnesses. BIWTA has already sued six people, including the owner of the ferry and its master driver, on charges of negligence, overloading and unauthorized operations.

Boats and ferries are still commonly used as key means of transportation in Bangladesh which is criss-crossed by about 250 rivers.

However, the vessels are often overloaded or badly maintained, and accidents are quite common.

At least 138 bodies were recovered after an overcrowded ferry capsized in March 2012, also in Munshiganj.

Comentarios desactivados

ago 11 2014

One person killed, seventy wounded by tropical storm in Japan

Filed under a-noticias-ingles

Tokyo, Aug 10 (Prensa Latina) Typhoon Halong, later downgraded to tropical storm, left one person killed, one missing and seventy wounded as it hit western Japan, relief bodies reported.

The National Meteoriology Agency said Halong hit the country through Kochi prefecture, accompanied by heavy rain and strong gusts of wind. The storm will continue advancing towards north-northeast at 35 km per hour, according to forecasts.

Airlines cancelled today some 300 domestic flights due to bad weather.

Nearly 700,000 people were given evacuation warning and recommendations against risks and dangers during the passage of Halong.

Comentarios desactivados

ago 06 2014

China imposes health measures to avoid arrival of Ebola

Filed under a-noticias-ingles

Beijing, Aug 6 (Prensa Latina) China tightened today health-control measures against Ebola, by means of tests at its borders to avoid arrival in this Asian country of the virus that causes that lethal disease, which has killed hundreds of people in West Africa.

The general Administration for Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine announced that passengers that arrive in the country, flying with airlines that come from regions affected by Ebola, would be subject to stricter tests, and would implement thorough health controls in vehicles that enter the country.

Other measures adopted, according to spokespeople of that administration, is suspension of imports of special and animal products, and alert to those who travel to those African regions.

Malaysia, another Asian country, extended preventive control of the Ebola virus propagation to all travelers that come from the Philippines, the United States and Great Britain at the international airport in Kuala Lumpur, the capital city, after five of 15 Philippines that arrived recently in the country, coming back from Sierra Leona, were subject to medical observation.

Malaysian Health Director General Noor Hisham Abdullah reported that the ministry of the sector activated watchfulness at the main entrances and health centers in Malaysia, and the personnel was supplied with appropriate protection equipment, and established isolation conditions for potential cases of infection.

Ebola is transmitted by body secretions or discharges and it is very difficult to control, according to experts.

Comentarios desactivados

ago 06 2014

WHO to convene emergency meeting on Ebola

Filed under a-noticias-ingles

United Nations, Aug. 5 (Xinhua) — The United Nations health agency will convene a two-day meeting of its emergency committee starting Wednesday to discuss the current Ebola outbreak in West Africa, a UN spokeswoman said here on Tuesday.

“According to the World Health Organization (WHO), as of 1 August, the number of Ebola cases stands at 1,603, including 887 deaths, in four countries: Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone,” UN Associate Spokesperson Vannina Maestracci said at a daily briefing.

Maestracci noted that between July 31 and Aug. 1, there were a total of 163 new cases and 61 deaths in two days.

“Human and financial resource mobilization continues to be sought from WHO’s partners, UN agencies, and other stakeholders,” she said.

“WHO has also announced it was convening a meeting of its emergency committee over the next two days,” said the spokeswoman.

The aim of the emergency meeting is to determine whether the current Ebola viral disease outbreak in West Africa constitutes a public health emergency of international concern.

If so, the committee would recommend to the WHO Director- General to declare it a public health emergency of international concern and recommend appropriate temporary measures to reduce international spread of the virus.

The UN health agency is scheduled to hold a press conference with Dr. Keiji Fukuda, WHO Assistant Director-General for Health Security, at 9 a.m. Geneva time on Friday on the outcome of the meeting of the emergency committee, which might finish its work quite late at night on Thursday.

Ebola, which spreads through mucous and other body fluid or secretions such as stool, urine, saliva and semen of infected people, is believed to be very difficult to control.

Comentarios desactivados

ago 06 2014

18 missing in boat capsize in N. India

Filed under a-noticias-ingles

New Delhi, Aug. 5 (Xinhua) — At least 18 people were missing when a boat carrying them capsized in the Ganga river in northern Indian state Uttar Pradesh’s Mirzapur district Tuesday evening, police said.

Around 40 to 50 people were on board the boat when the accident took place.

Police divers and a team of National Disaster Response Force ( NDRF) have been looking for any survivors though the chances of finding them were slim.

The Ganga water level has been rising for days due to rains.

Comentarios desactivados

ago 05 2014

African troops deployed to fight Ebola outbreak

Filed under a-noticias-ingles

Monrovia, Aug 4 (Prensa Latina) Hundreds of soldiers were deployed today in Liberia and Sierra Leone to fight the outbreak of Ebola virus, as the death toll climbed to 887 in West Africa.

Panic among local communities, which have attacked health workers and threatened to burn down isolation wards, prompted Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea to impose tough measures last week, including the closure of schools and the quarantine of the remote forest region hardest hit by the disease.

Since its detection last March, the outbreak has put a lot of pressure on Africa’s poorly financed healthcare systems.

Long convoys of military trucks ferried troops and medical workers on Monday to Sierra Leone’s far east, where the density of cases is highest. Military spokesman Colonel Michael Samoura said the operation, code-named Octopus, involved around 750 military personnel.

Troops will gather in the southeastern town of Bo before traveling to isolated communities to implement quarantines, he added. Healthcare workers will be allowed to come and go freely, and the communities will be kept supplied with food.

Comentarios desactivados

ago 04 2014

China Focus: Massive rescue under way after Yunnan quake

Filed under a-noticias-ingles

Ludian, Yunnan, Aug. 4 (Xinhua) — The death toll from a 6.5-magnitude earthquake in southwest China’s Yunnan Province has risen to 398 with three missing, latest official statistics showed on Monday.

As of 2 p.m. on Monday, the strong quake had affected 1.08 million people in Zhaotong City and Qujing City, injured 1,801 and necessitated the emergency evacuation of about 230,000, according to the Yunnan Civil Affairs Department.

Nearly 80,000 rooms of 25,500 households collapsed in the quake and 124,000 rooms of 39,200 households were seriously damaged, the department said.

The deaths include 319 in Ludian County, 66 in Qiaojia County, one in Zhaoyang District and 12 in Huize County. Three are missing in Qiaojia.

Rescuers are racing against time to save lives after the quake struck at 4:30 p.m. Sunday (Beijing Time) with a depth of 12 km. The epicenter is in Longtoushan Township, Ludian County.

Yunnan has sent 7,000 rescuers, including 5,000 soldiers, police officers and firefighters, to Zhaotong and Qujing.

More than 4,000 servicemen and paramilitary reserve forces of the Chengdu Military Area Command have participated in the rescue work.

Another 300 servicemen from the command are on their way to deliver relief materials in 110 vehicles. Over 600 of the command’s medical workers are treating the injured.

The command has also dispatched six helicopters to the quake zone.

Quake-triggered landslides have blocked roads to the worst-hit areas, making it very difficult to transport injured residents and relief materials, several rescuers told Xinhua.

Their work has been hampered by continuous downpours, which have disrupted traffic, lowered temperatures in the remote area, and made food and medicine shortages even more dangerous.

Thundershowers and downpours are forecast in Ludian over the next few days, and temperatures could drop to 17 degrees centigrade at night.

Late on Sunday night, President Xi Jinping ordered that authorities concerned give top priority to saving people’s lives, minimize casualties and guarantee a proper settlement for quake victims.

As of Monday morning, 1,363 people have received medical treatment in the quake-hit areas, said the provincial health department. Four died despite doctors’ efforts.

Eighteen medical rescue teams are on their way to the quake zone.

Rescuers have evacuated residents threatened by a lake which was formed by the quake in Jiangbian Village, Zhixiang Township of Huize County. It had inundated 20 houses.

The quake is the strongest to hit Yunnan in 14 years, according to Zhang Junwei, an official with the Yunnan Earthquake Administration.

Ludian has a population of 400,000, or a density of 265 people per sq km, far above the average of 110 people per sq km in Yunnan, said Zhang.

Houses, mostly made of wood, bricks and concrete, were too fragile to resist the quake. All these factors contributed to the heavy casualties, he said.

As of 3 p.m. on Monday, 460 aftershocks have been recorded in the quake-hit region, including four measuring between 4.0 and 4.9 magnitude, said Li Fei, spokesman for the Yunnan Earthquake Administration.

Traffic on a main road linking the Longtoushan and the county seat eased on Monday morning after hours of gridlock after the quake. Large numbers of the injured are being transferred to the county’s hospital via the road by ambulance.

Officials with the Yunnan Provincial Department of Civil Affairs told Xinhua that a large number of tents, cotton quilts and fold-out beds had been stored in Zhaotong and Ludian, but there have been problems having them delivered to the quake-hit areas.

Comentarios desactivados

ago 04 2014

Nigeria screens air passengers over Ebola virus

Filed under a-noticias-ingles

Lagos,  Aug. 4 (Xinhua) — The Nigerian government has started temperature screening of passengers arriving from places of high risk of Ebola to contain the spread of the virus.

Spokesperson for the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) Yakubu Dati made the disclosure in an interview with Xinhua in Lagos on Monday on the update of the virus in the country.

He said screening and monitoring is being done at all major international airports in the country.

The screening entails checking passengers’ temperatures with a hand-held machine, Dati added, noting that any passengers that passed through affected countries have to go through the screening.

“We have instructed every airline that is connected to all the countries that have the virus to monitor the passengers that will board their flights,” he added.

“This is to ensure that they don’t fly people that have the virus into Nigeria, they should set up a medical team; that is what happens when there are such epidemics. If we don’t do that, we also stand the risk of being banned from going to other countries,” the FAAN spokesperson told Xinhua.

He said it was expected that in the future, airlines would not allow sick passengers to board their flights without proper medical report.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the disease has killed 729 people and affected more than 1,300 this year.

The Ebola virus, which can incubate for up to 21 days, has a fatality rate of up to 90 percent.

The WHO defines the disease, formerly known as Ebola hemorrhagic fever, as “a severe, often fatal illness” and “one of the world’s most virulent diseases.”

Comentarios desactivados

ago 04 2014

Cholera kills 1 in Burundi

Filed under a-noticias-ingles

Bujumbura, Aug. 4 (Xinhua) — At least 86 persons have caught cholera and one of them has already died in less than two weeks when cholera broke out in the Burundian town of Rumonge in the province of Bururi, some 70 km south of the Burundian capital Bujumbura, the director of Rumonge Hospital told Xinhua by phone on Sunday.

“For less than two weeks, at least 86 persons from Rumonge neighborhoods came to hospital with cholera symptoms and one of them has died,” said Dr Lambert Bigirindavyi, Director of Rumonge Hospital.

According to Bigirindavyi, drugs and equipment to control drugs are a “big challenge” because the stock is almost empty.

He commended the UNICEF and the Burundi Red Cross for availing drugs and the equipment but called on both organizations and other organizations to provide more medical assistance to control cholera.

Bigirindavyi said, “One week ago cholera was declared in Rumonge town in two neighborhoods including Iteba and Nkayamba, but it has now expanded to six neighborhoods namely Iteba, Nkayamba, the Swahili neighborhood, Kagongo, Ihwanya and Nyakarara. ”

He indicated that 27 cholera patients are still in isolation tents at Rumonge Hospital and added that other people who had cholera have gone back home because they were healed.

For a long time, the town of Rumonge has been suffering from serious shortages of clean drinking water and citizens living in poor neighborhoods drink unclean water from Lake Tanganyika.

On June 20, Burundian Public Health and AIDS Control Minister Dr Sabine Ntakarutimana officially declared a cholera outbreak in some parts of the east African country’s western lowlands.

The town of Rumonge, which is Burundi’s fourth biggest town after the capital Bujumbura, Gitega and Ngozi, had also been warned to be watchful about cholera attack.

Comentarios desactivados

Older Posts »