Philippine Typhoon Losses Reach Nearly One Billion

Manila, Dec 22 (Prensa Latina) The Philippine authorities reported that typhoon Bopha caused losses of nearly one billion US dollars and 1,067 dead people that have been identified so far.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said that the number of wounded people exceeds 2,000 and 14,000 people are still in evacuation centers. The number of houses totally destroyed is 80,000 and those damaged reached 102,000.

Bopha, called Pablo in the Philippines, devastated the central and southern areas of the archipelago, especially the provinces of Compostela Valley and Central Davao in the southern island of Mindanao.

In those regions, the damage to agriculture represent 72 percent of the losses, calculated in a total of $836 million US, said Council Director Benito Ramos.