Guatemala to Grant Houses to Quake Victims

Posted at 12:56 under a-noticias-ingles

Guatemala, Dec 10 (Prensa Latina) The Guatemalan Executive branch is expected today to grant houses to the victims of November 7 earthquake, which left a total of 44 dead and millions in material losses.

President Otto Perez Molina announced last week that 45 houses would be granted in the southwestern San Marcos department, the most affected by the 7.2 magnitude quake on the Richter scale.

In a press statement last week, Perez Molina said that he hoped to come back to San Marcos on Monday to inaugurate the houses because it was a commitment and moreover one that would also open the way towards the national reconstruction.

According to Vice President Roxana Baldetti, the houses have two bedrooms and a 36 square meter living area.

For his part, the Minister of Communications, Infrastructure, and Housing, Alejandro Sinibaldi, said that 2500 houses have been demolished, chiefly in San Marcos.

The Guatemalan government has also extended to 30 days the State of Public Calamity, decreed in the eight departments most affected by the quake, including San Marcos, Solola, Huhuetenango, Quetzaltenango, Totonicapan, Retalhuleu, Quiche, and Suchitepequez.